Sunday, October 17, 2010

Kids Say the Darndest Things

I have the great and wonderful fortune of working at a daycare. Aside from poopy diapers, tantrums, and runny noses, it is at times the most enjoyable part of my day--my escape from school, homework, errands, drama, and just life in general. I love being greeted each day with mounds of hugs and excitement. At least for the first 30 seconds of work, I feel like a celebrity! Little kids are so sincere and oftentimes this is very humorous, not to mention adorable. Their genuineness is oftentimes humbling and touching and I am again and again reminded why Jesus told us to be as little children.

There was one time I was taking care of Daxton, only a year and a half, who was sick, and had just thrown up and would not stop crying despite everything I was trying. He just wanted to be held. I read a book to get his mind off of feeling sick, but that didn't work. Then I picked up a book with a picture of Jesus on it and asked him if He wanted me to read it to him. He stopped crying and said, "Jesus!" while smiling and pointing to the picture. He didn't start crying again until I closed the book after the last page. It's amazing how little children like Daxton, who don't know much about anything, are so fresh from Heaven and precious in His eyes, that they can still feel his love for them.




Sometimes I know Heavenly Father uses those kids to get me thinking about things in my own life, or to remind me He is there, involved in every bit of my life and that He cares about me. That is what happened this week . . .

There is a little cute blonde hair blue-eyed girl named Harlie, only 3 years old. Although I'm probably not supposed to have favorites, I'd have to say she's up there if not at the very top. She always wants to sit in my lap or tells me I'm pretty, and just always knows how to brighten up my day. Harlie, like many of the kids at the daycare, hasn't grown up in an LDS home with good examples in her life. This last week the kids were playing outside and she was sitting on my lap playing with my phone. She noticed the picture on the background of my phone and asked,

"Who's that guy?"
It was a picture of the Savior so I responded,
"That's Jesus. Have you ever heard of Him?"
"Ummmmm, nope!"
Trying to think of the best way to explain Jesus to a three-year old I said,
"Well, He loves you, Harlie. He loves everyone!"
She paused for a moment and then had most confused look on her face before she said,
"He loves everyone?! That's weird!"

I couldn't help but laugh. I mean, it was funny! Then I kept thinking about it more and more. It is kind of crazy how one man can love every single person who ever has lived, is living, or will live. And that He not only loves us, but knows us better than any person, along with Heavenly Father, and they are involved in every detail of our lives. But as crazy as it is to believe, or hard as it is to fathom, it's true! And that is such a blessing. I know Heavenly Father sparked her to ask that question to remind me not only that He loves me, but I also felt an overwhelming love that He has for each and every child at that daycare. That despite the situations we have grown up in at home, despite the choices others might make to hurt us, and despite the fact that people who were once our heroes and let us down, He never will. He is constant, unchanging, and his love is unconditional. He will make up for our losses. If we live righteously with an eternal perspective in mind, I know we can be happy no matter what we are going through because of the incredible plan our Father in Heaven has made for us and that we can feel comforted through anything because of the Atonement. Those two things are such blessings in my life that I take for granted everyday, but I am so thankful for. Realizing such simple yet incredible things like this are magical moments that make living life amazing!

3 comments:

  1. oh meg. i just love you. thanks for that and for all your loves and friendships. i love having you up here in logan with me. mwuah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megs, you have me all teary-eyed here in the UVU library...I love you and your genuine, pure spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing! Thanks for that! I want to be like you when I grow up!

    ReplyDelete