Friday, July 23, 2010

Finally, A Plan

Ever since elementary school when teachers make you take those career tests to help you decide what to go into someday, I've always gotten the same results: "Helper". I didn't need to take a 100 question test to figure that out. The problem I've had is getting past that point and figuring out exactly what I want to do. Well in February while sitting in the library "studying" for an upcoming test, my brain kind of zoned out (surprised?) and went into it's only little world. All the sudden I pictured myself in a huge cabin-looking building surrounded by lots of people. People who looked like they never really fit in anywhere...except there. At this place they were safe and happy. And I was happy. That's when I decided I want to make this daydream a reality and open up some kind of facility like that someday. I took out a flashcard and filled it with my hobbies, strengths, weaknesses, dreams, and insecurities. I wrote about how I want to combine therapy and counseling with recreation to help people deal with their problems. This flashcard turned into three--front and back as my thoughts spilled out faster than I could write them.

It wasn't until this week where I talked to some counselors and ALMOST solidified my plans to make this goal more a reality. For my under grad I am doing a special program combining Therapeutic Recreation with Psychology (probably) then in two years I want to transfer to the U (I know I know...never thought I'd go there) and do a special 3 year program where I will get a double Masters in Social Work and Public Administration. Who knows, maybe a family will come before I can get this all done, after all it will take me 5 years, but for now it feels good and it's what I'm going to shoot for. I still have thoughts about serving a mission, and with all this I don't know how it would be possible! I guess I'll still take one thing at a time and use lots of prayer to figure it all out! Life is crazy and it feels weird to be growing up sometimes.

I'm still new to this whole blogging thing and need to put on pictures! I know it's a little boring without them so I will learn I promise because there is lots more I want to blog about! It's been such a great summer!

3 comments:

  1. You have made an awesome plan for yourself and I always knew that you would be an amazing helper. You will be a blessing to many people. I'm very proud of you, my dear. Love you tons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megs, you are my rock star!! Go get that cabin! love you love you love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm ready to read a post about your magical moment on the top of Timp at sunrise.....Hurry, Megs!!!!!

    ReplyDelete